Join us for an exclusive behind-the-scenes look into the daily lives of the Tally-Ho horses!
Learn about caring for working draft horses, experience hands-on time with them, and enjoy a private carriage tour!
Reservations now closed for the 2021 season. Please check back later for new dates, or follow us on Facebook for updates.
Spend the afternoon at Hidden Acres Farm, where you will meet the horses and hear their stories! Learn about their specialized training program and the fascinating world of working draft horses. Enjoy demonstrations of Tally-Ho’s training methods. Participate in grooming and harnessing a horse. Conclude the day with a relaxing carriage tour of the beautiful farming community of Central Saanich.
Arriving at Hidden Acres Farm you will be greeted by the Tally-Ho horses (and other fur-friends), as well as members of the Friedlander family who have owned and operated the company for over 30 years.
Following a brief safety discussion, learn about the 118 year old business: how it started, its original services, and how it has helped shape the City of Victoria.
Enjoy the laid-back vibe of farm life as you meet all the horses, appreciating each horses’ unique character, and hearing their individual stories. Learn about the different draft horse breeds that are part of the Tally-Ho herd, including three of which are on the Rare Breeds Survival Trust list as a breed that is vulnerable to extinction.
The Tally-Ho farm team will walk you through a day in the life of the horses, including their feed program, hoof care, veterinary care; and how we ensure their physical and mental health needs are met.
Next, help us prepare a horse for work! Your private group will work directly with one of the horses to ensure his is well-groomed and turned out for the day. Learn about heavy-horse harness including the parts, purpose, and proper fit. Enjoy a driving demonstration while seeing how we use natural horsemanship techniques to create a trust-based partnership between horse and handler.
To round out our day, we will hitch your new-found horse friend to a carriage and set off for a relaxing 30 minute carriage ride in the rural farming community of Central Saanich.
Returning to the farm you will have time for any unanswered questions and an opportunity to say good-bye to the stars of our show – the horses!
Duration: 2.5 to 3 hours
Cost: $150 per person
Minimum 2 participants
10% discount for groups of 3 to 4 people
- No horse experience required! We will teach you the basics of safety and handling.
- Limited to 4 participants per group. A maximum of two groups will be on the farm at a time.
- Must be 8 years old or older; parents must maintain supervision at all times. (We do not recommend this experience for children under 8 years old due to the length of the tour, the learning components, and the close proximity to large, live animals.)
- Participants must wear closed-toed shoes; otherwise will not be permitted to be near horses.
- All participants must complete a waiver (will be provided after a reservation is made).
- Those with allergies to horses, hay, cats or dogs may participate at their own discretion.
- This is an outside activity and participants should dress accordingly for the weather (hat, sunscreen, rain jacket [no umbrellas please]).
- No pets allowed.
- Washroom on site.
COVID Safety Plan
- This experience is designed for guests to enjoy with people who are already in their small, consistent social bubble.
- Participants are required to wear a mask and maintain physical distancing practices at all times.
- Touch-points on the farm will be minimized and tools/equipment will not be shared.
- The carriage will be sanitized for each group and is equipped with a plexiglass shield between the guests and driver.
- Please read the Tally-Ho Carriage Tours COVID-19 Safety Plan and abide by the rules within.