Experience the country charm of this fun, unique tour!
Due to popular demand, this tour is now available throughout July 2022!
Join us on a delightful multi-sensory tour of the beautiful farming community of Saanichton, where you will enjoy an open-air horse-drawn carriage ride, freshly roasted artisan coffee, award-winning locally crafted cider, and a freshly prepared gourmet picnic.
Tours offered at either 12:00 pm or 1:45 pm
Saturdays – April 16 to July 30 and September 10 to October 1, 2022
Thursdays – May 26 to July 28 and September 1 to 29, 2022
To kick off your day, guests will be treated to an organic, freshly-roasted coffee (or specialty beverage such as lattes, mochas, etc.) at Fresh Cup Roastery Café. You are welcome to bring your fresh-brew along on your carriage tour!
Fresh Cup uses farmer-direct, single-origin, organic beans; and their patented in-house environmentally sustainable roasting process ensures consistent quality with the freshest, tastiest beans and cupped coffee possible. If you would like to continue to enjoy Fresh Cup’s delicious coffee at home, they will provide a 15% discount on beans to guests of Tally-Ho!
After you receive your drink, come and meet your beautiful draft horse and charming carriage driver! We are happy to take a few photos before we set out on your adventure. This quintessential country carriage ride will take 35-40 minutes, and highlight the peaceful, rural farming community of Central Saanich. Your beautiful horse and private tour guide will delight you with history of the area while you pass rolling fields and ocean vistas.
Arrive in “style” at the doorstep of Sea Cider Farm & Ciderhouse, producer of award-winning, traditionally brewed ciders using organically farmed heritage apples. You will be shown to your picnic table, where you will enjoy spectacular views of the orchard and Pacific Ocean while tasting a flight of six pre-selected ciders (2 oz servings of each). If you love the cider, take advantage of your 20% Tally-Ho Guest discount on Sea Cider products to enjoy at home!
To accompany your cider tasting, savor a gourmet picnic provided by Truffles Catering, who have been providing delicious food, with artful presentation and exceptional service on Vancouver Island for nearly 30 years! Picnics are prepared fresh each day, with the set menu choices including a variety of locally sourced ingredients, skillfully crafted into delectable sweet and savory delights. Guests can select from three picnic choices during the reservation process: regular, vegetarian or gluten free/vegan. (Photo is the regular picnic.)
You will have approximately 90 minutes at the cidery to enjoy your picnic, and we highly recommend a short stroll around the farm before you leave! Your horse and carriage will return to escort you back to the beginning, this time lazily rolling through the pastoral fields of Longview Farm, the largest certified organic farm on Vancouver Island. Enjoy the fresh air and stunning ocean views in the background on this 30-35 minute ride!
- Each carriage seats 2 to 5 passengers (4 for optimal comfort).
- Carriages are equipped with retractable roofs in case of inclement weather.
- Experience is designed for participants who are 19 years old or over; however children can be accommodated with non-alcoholic beverages.
- Children under the age of 5, who do not require food or beverages, ride free. Please make a comment when booking that your tour will include a child.
- Picnic menu: Truffles Catering has prepared three choices to accommodate a variety of food allergies and/or preferences. Please choose a picnic box for each guest at check out (each box serves one guest). If there are food allergies please note these in the Comments section. Menus may be subject to change based upon seasonality and availability of ingredients.
- Regular: Hertel’s ham, grilled apple and brie baguette, mushroom and goat cheese tart, smoked salmon cream cheese, mini bagels, fresh vegetables with artichoke dip, prosciutto wrapped melon, apple tarte tatin, chai spiced Swiss roll, decorated macarons and house made chocolate truffles.
- Vegetarian: Grilled apple and brie baguette, mushroom and goat cheese tart, cucumber cream cheese mini bagels, fresh vegetables with artichoke dip, melon slices, apple tarte tatin, chai spiced Swiss roll, decorated macarons and house made chocolate truffles.
- Gluten Free/Vegan: Chanterelle mushroom pâté, pickled beet salad, olive and sundried tomato tapenade, cauliflower fritters, spiced and candied nuts, GF Brownie, nut butter orb, served with a selection of GF crackers and GF baguette.
*Regular and Vegetarian picnics are not available gluten or dairy free